Monday, October 5, 2009

CW45 Goes In To The Shop

It sucks when something so good, has so much potential, disappoints you.

My carry pistol, a Kahr Arms CW45, is, seemingly, the best carry pistol ever made. It is extremely lightweight. It has a very thin form factor. It shoots a large round, .45 caliber. It is accurate (I am able to get nice center mass groupings from 30 yards, with only a 3" barrel!). It's slide spring is strong enough to compensate for much of the heavy recoil of the .45 round.
All signs point to awesome... EXCEPT, mine started to have problems. When I fired the pistol, sometimes after one mag, sometimes after several, I noticed that the trigger did not reengage. I had to force the trigger forward, forcefully, in order to get the pistol to fire. At first I thought the pistol was dirty, not so. Even after a good cleaning the problem persisted. I fooled myself in to thinking that it was a "break in" problem, and it would go away after more rounds went through the pistol.

The last time I went to the range, I couldn't finish a single magazine with out the issue presenting itself. A pistol can have all of the advantages in the world, but if it doesn't go "boom" when you pull the trigger it will cost you your life.

Over the weekend I went on the Internet and found that I was not the only one to have these issues. It turns out the CW45 is notorious for having these problems. The factory does immediate RMAs for the issue and fixes the bad pistols. I found this to be the case, as when I filled out the RMA form, a number came almost immediately. I will monitor the customer service I get, and let everyone here know when I get the pistol back from the factory.

My question is why was this allowed to happen? If you market a pistol as a concealed carry weapon, CW stands for Concealed Weapon, why would you allow manufacturing issues like this to persist once you have them recognized?? My Internet research tells me that the CW45 has had problems for nearly two years now. The number one thing that a gun should do is go boom. If yours doesn't you have real problems.
Why not issue a recall on the model? Why send out defective models? I don't get it.
Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armories, and Colt, not to mention HK, Kimber, and Glock all are very large companies with the ability to wipe the floor with Kahr. If it doesn't shoot, your reputation is tarnished. Reputation is very important in the gun business, and small companies like Kahr simply can not afford to have these issues if they intend to continue in business.

Anyway, this is my first day since 1996 that I have no handgun in the house. My long guns are far away from my bedroom, and even if I moved one in to the bed room closet it will still be a long ways away, maybe too long if push comes to shove...

No comments: