Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Why Iron Fist Sucks

Iron Fist and the Defenders have been out for a bit, so I feel it is OK to talk about them without worrying about spoilers for anyone.

I was really excited when I heard that Iron Fist was coming to Netflix.  Then I watched the first season of Daredevil.  Then I was chomping at the bit.  If Daredevil was this badass, Iron Fist, the Living Weapon, the pinnacle of Martial Arts, should be insanely off the hook.

I heard Finn Jones was starring and I wasn't too worried.  Charlie Cox of Daredevil wasn't know for his Martial Arts, and he made DD look amazing. 

Then it premiered.  My expectations were high.  I was devastated.  It wasn't the story.  It wasn't the angle they took for Iron Fist.  That was all OK.  They played up the whiny rich kid angle way too much but that's fine.

The fight scenes that featured Jones just stunk up the room.  No energy.  No talent.  With out trying to exaggerate at all, my 43 year old non-acting, inflexible, fat ass could have done a better job.  EVERYONE, including Rosario Dawson, did better then the supposed "Living Weapon." He was terrible.  Awful.  Unforgivable.

What's worse is that Marvel had a change things when the filmed The Defenders.  They KNEW that Jones was terrible.  They did NOTHING.  There were times in The Defenders where Charlie Cox and Finn Jones were in the same fight scenes.  I can't even remember watching Jones.  I remember Krysten Ritter's Jessica Jones movements more than I remember Jones.  Ritter's moves basically consisted of her throwing someone in to a wall. 

The best scenes in BOTH shows where when secondary characters, Iron Fist is the primary in both shows, fought.  Davos, played by Sacha Dhawan, was amazing in Iron Fist.  I was actually cheering for the bad guy when Danny/Davos finally faced off.  That fight SUCKED, because Dhawan was obviously holding back for the craptastick Finn.
The Electra/Daredevil fight in The Defenders was incredibly badass.  NOTHING that Finn did was badass.  Even the should have been insane Luke Cage/Iron Fist fight.  Just terrible.

There will be a season 2 of Iron Fist...  I will watch it, because of the interconnection between the Marvel Netflix series.  I hope they teach Finn some Martial Arts, or have other people fight his battles.  Because he sucks.

No comments: