Monday, October 15, 2018

Old Man Meniscus Tear - Getting Back To BJJ - Part 2 - The First Workout

I'm supposed to do light jogging as part of my recovery.  I have also been cleared for very light calisthenics.  Nothing that will twist or put pressure on the knee.  So, I laced up the running shoes and hit the road this morning. 
Pretty much the only thing I have been able to do lately has been pushups, so the cardio work of running was a welcome change.  It felt like I was getting back to some sort of training. 

However...  Being an old guy, the cardio goes quickly.  I've been out of commission for nearly 2 months and the light jogging was difficult.  I ran for about 10 minutes, and it wasn't easy. 
My knee didn't give me much trouble but it took a few minutes for the knee to warm up and to get my stride going.

Interestingly enough, it isn't the flex of my knee that is giving me the issues.  It is the extension.  I have about a -3 degree hyper-extension of my left knee.  My right knee isn't there yet, so the inability to extend my leg to the correct position changes my stride.  Makes it difficult to get a steady comfortable rhythm going.  After my knee loosened up it was a much easier run, but I didn't have much gas in the tank.

After the run, I did some stretching.  Trying to get my hamstrings back to where they were.  Difficult...  With no workouts and very little stretching, my flexibility has suffered.

This seems to be a running theme...  As I get older, it takes longer to heal, and fitness aspects seem to regress much quicker.  Like my cardio and my flexibility.  I'll need to make sure to stretch more often.  Perhaps start doing the Yoga for BJJ course...  If my knee can take it...

No comments: