Thursday, February 14, 2019

Old Man Meniscus Tear - Getting Back to BJJ Part 4 - Cleared for Return... Sort of...

I am cleared by the surgeon to return to sport!!  But...  He didn't like where my VMO muscle looked like.  So he wants me to wait a few more weeks to build it up some more.

The knee is still sore in the medial side I can't yet do a full pigeon pose, or sit comfortably on my heels.  That is just going to be how it is.  It takes a very long time for me to heal now, and that is to be expected.  What we did prove is that I CAN heal.  It just takes a good long time.  Surgeon says that I should be back to pre-injury levels of pain and flexibility in a year.  Until then...  Keep stretching. Keep working.

I have a plan to come back.  I'll start with movement drills and basics.  It will be about 7 months out, and I have lost everything.  Timing, cardio, flexibility, you name it.  I'll need to start from near scratch.  That sucks.  But that is the way it is.  The good news is that I'll be getting a really good workout for the next several months before my cardio catches up and I get back to some form of equilibrium.

I won't roll for another two or three months.  I'll drill during the rolling sessions.  The guys can use me as a rest period as I work on recovering.  Then I'll start rolling very very very carefully.  I foresee lots of tapping.

No comments: