Thursday, January 12, 2012

Political Posts

Some have noticed my lack of political posts lately. It is because I am heart broken, and I can barely stand to read any political stories anymore. The American people broke my heart when they voted in President Obama, but I can understand why they did it. McCain wasn't much of a choice, and his policies were so similar to GWB's. So, I forgave the American People for that. I forgave them, and they seemed to really come along with the election of many Tea Party and small government people on the off year election. But then the politician themselves broke my hear in to very tiny pieces.

First, they ignored Rand Paul's plan to cut really cut, not base line budget cut, government spending. Then they signed on to this ridiculous plan to extend the debt ceiling that created a "Super Committee" to make additional budget cuts. There was no way no how that anything was going to get done in the Super Committee, because all of the "cuts" that the Democrats wanted were automatically triggered if nothing was done. So, what was their incentive to do something?
Oh, and the "cuts" that they made with the debt ceiling mess were all over 10 years and only cuts in to the proposed INCREASES in spending. In other words, there were no actual cuts in budgets, and the reductions made were made so long term that they will never happen. So, the debt ceiling was raised and NOTHING was done to abate the growth of government.

The politicians then took a nice long whiz on the broken pieces of my heart when they passed the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 that actually gave the Executive the right to indefinitely detain American Citizens with out trial! Hold on... I think there is some superseding law that prevented that kind of thing... Oh yeah THE BILL OF FREAKING RIGHTS!! The very people that were sent to Washington to bring the government back to the Constitution blatantly passed something that takes a shit on it. How many amendments were violated with this act??
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. -- Fifth Amendment

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence. -- Sixth Amendment

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law. -- Seventh Amendment

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. -- Eighth Amendment

What only FOUR amendments??? You couldn't throw in there that American Citizens could be seized without warrants just so you could torch a good half of the Bill of Rights?? OH WAIT, they did that earlier when they renewed the "Patriot Act."

The presidential election goes on now and it looks like the GOP candidate will be Mitt Romney. I don't mind Mitt when it comes to growing business. I think that he would be a very pro business president. However, what will he do to change the regulation mess in Washington? Nothing. He is the type of person who would fit very well in the existing Washington power structure. He won't change the tax code, he won't eliminate useless departments of Government, he won't root out redundant programs, and he certainly won't advocate grater freedom for the people. He will just be there... If elected, he will make history as the first Mormon president. He won't make history anywhere it counts. He will simply be another cog in the machine.

The worst part is, the American People don't care. They are pissing what little freedoms they have left away, and they just don't care. They want big brother government to be there for them. I get so angry when the Democrats get in front of crowds and mention that their opposition just want everyone to "Go it alone," and the crowd goes wild. I do want to go it alone. I do want the federal government out of my life. I would much rather the state or local government be the one to act on these issues. I can change local government by simply convincing my neighbors. To change federal law I need to convince my neighbors, my state, my region, the next region, the region next to that, and finally the President of the United States. It is difficult for a reason.

So I don't write about it because my feelings are so hurt. I am so outside the mainstream with my thoughts of freedom, that I am considered "radical." No one wants me on their side, because I piss off everybody. Democrats don't want me because I want smaller government. Republicans don't want me because I want to legalize drugs. All based on the answer to a very simple question... Who owns me? I want ME to own me. But if I own me, I have to take the risk of failure. That is freedom. Freedom is NOT having 99 weeks of unemployment payments. Freedom is NOT banning contraception practices that I disagree with. Freedom is me standing alone, with the government protecting my rights. Not the government watching over me and involved in to the very minutia of my life, like what kind of light bulb I can buy, or what substance I can put in to my body.

I just want to be free.

No comments: