Monday, July 9, 2007

UFC 72 Stacked - Recap

I would have liked more finishes, and my Dad didn't understand my fascination with MMA, because he did not understand the ground game, but overall this was a fun event.


Frank Edgar def Mark Bocek TKO (Strikes) 4:55 rnd 1
My Pick: Mark by armbar first round
Bad way to start...

Chris Lytle def Jason Gilliam Submission (Inverted Triangle Choke) 2:15 rnd 1
My Pick: Chris by RNC first round
Inverted Triangle?? Chris must have been training some Judo. They love that move.

Jorge Gurgel def Diego Saraiva Decision
My Pick: Diego by decision
Joge wins by decision, I really would like to have seen this one...

Stephan Bonnar def Mike Nickels Submission (Rear Naked Choke) 2:14 rnd 1
My Pick: Stephan by KO first round
No surprise. Stephan is a top notch MMA submission guy. Now we wait for the drug test results.


Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira def Heath Herring Decision
My Pick: Nog by RNC second round
Heath looked really good in this fight. He managed to do something that has never been done before. He knocked Nog down flat with a head kick. Nog was on queer street, but was able to hang on for the rest of the round. Heath did not come right at him in the beginning of round two, probably because Nog was landing what ever he wanted during the first round.
Good fight!

Sean Sherk def Hermes Franca Decision
My Pick: Sean by decision
The only real surprise here is how Hermes swept Sherk. No one has done that before. If you want Sean on his back you have to put him there with a takedown or knock him down. Hermes swept him several times, but was unable to pass effectively.
I wanted a finish, but that just was not going to happen with Sherk's ability to defend subs, and Sherk's lack of KO power.

Rashad Evans Drew Tito Ortiz
My Pick: Rashad by decision
Rashad lost that fight. Tito may have gassed in the third round, but he won rounds one and two. If not for the point deduction Tito wins that decision.
It was an OK fight, we saw too much of the old "dance around you" Rashad though. Had the "knock you out" Rashad, the one who nearly killed his last two opponents, showed up we may have seen a different result.


Anderson Silva def Nathan Marquardt TKO (Strikes) 4:50 rnd 1
My Pick: Silva by KO third round.
I thought that Nate would have put up more of a fight... Anderson got the sweep, passed to half guard and pounded Nate out.
Very entertaining fight, and a very interesting expression on Rich Franklin's face.

Kenny Florian def Alvin Robinson Submission (Strikes) 4:30 rnd 1
My Pick: Kenny by KO second round.
No surprise here.

I go 6 of 9, but should we even count the draw??

No comments: