Tuesday, November 27, 2007

UFC 78 Recap

I know I am late. Turkey is good...

Akihiro Gono def Tamden McCrory Submission (Armbar) 3:19 rnd 2
My Pick: Gono by decision
Gono gets an armbar from mount as McCrory tries to buck him off. Good first UFC win for Gono.

Marcus Aurelio def Luke Caudillo TKO (Strikes) 4:29 rnd 1
My Pick: Aurelio by RNC first round.
Luke really did not have a chance in this one. What is with putting the Nebraska boys up against Brazilians?


Joe Lauzon def Jason Reinhardt Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) 1:14 rnd 1
My Pick: Lauzon by heel hook second round.
Joe did not get to slap on his famous heel hook, but he did put on the fastest RNC since Genki Sudo. Joe looked very impressive


Thiago Alves def Chris Lytle TKO (Doctor Stoppage - Cut) 5:00 rnd 2
My Pick: Thiago by KO first round.
I really hate it when cuts end fights, but that is the game.


Frank Edgar def Spencer Fisher Decision
My Pick: Spencer by triangle second round
I really thought that Spence would be able to impose his will on Edgar, forcing a rushed takedown that Spence would be able to turn in to one of his famous triangle chokes... Not to be. Edgar dominated Spence. "The King" was only able to stop one of Frank's takedowns, and ate punches from guard for 15 minutes.


Ed Herman def Joe Doerksen KO (Punch) 0:39 rnd 3
My Pick: Doerkerson by decision.
Ed was saved by the bell at the end of round 2 when Joe had him in a very tight triangle. If the round would have gone on for 5 more seconds Ed would have tapped or gone to sleep. Good revenge win for Ed over the exhausted Joe.


Karo Parisyan def Ryo Chonan Decision
My Pick: Karo by decision
Chonan looked lethargic and Karo looked... well Karo looked like he always looks, good takedowns no ground offence.


Thiago Silva def Houston Alexander TKO (Strikes) 3:25 rnd 1
My Pick: Thiago by RNC late third round
This was an interesting fight. Silva takes Houston down, Houston stands up, then takes Silva down... WHY??? Silva is a BJJ black belt, Houston has very little ground skill, and he knows it. Why take him down? From there the inevitable happens, Silva sweeps Houston, mounts him like a grappling dummy, then hits him in the face until the ref mercifully stops the fight.
Houston has promise, but he needs to work the ground.


Rashad Evans def Michael Bisping Decision (Split)
My Pick: Rashad by decision... again.
I fell a sleep in this fight. Rashad has gone back to fighting not to loose and Bisping seems to lack the power to do anything on his feet. I was impressed with Bisping's wrestling. He looked like he could hang with the much more experienced and explosive Evans.

I get back to my winning ways going 7 for 9! I am awesome.

No comments: