Monday, December 29, 2008

UFC 92 Recap

Patrick Barry def Dan Evensen TKO (Low Kicks) 2:36 rnd 1
My Pick: Dan by KO first round
Bad start...

Brad Blackburn def Ryo Chonan Decision
My Pick: Brad by KO second round
That should drop Ryo from the UFC ranks. Too bad. I really wanted to see a Chonan, Anderson Silva rematch.


Matt Hamill def Reese Andy TKO (Punches) 2:19 rnd 2
My Pick: Matt by KO second round.
Matt puts me back in black with a perfect call!
Matt looked OK in this fight. His stand up has gotten much better, but he tends to drop his hands when punching. When he fights some one with a good counter punch, or an aggressive forward style, it will cost him. I think that a fight with Forrest Griffin or Wand Silva would be a good test for Matt next.


Antoni Hardonk def Mike Wessel TKO (Punches) 2:09 rnd 2
My Pick: Hardonk by ground and pound KO first round
+2 and I got a lot to do! Did that make sense? I got to update my ryming.


Yushin Okami def Dean Lister Decision
My Pick: Okami by decision
What did I tell you? Second perfect of this set!


Cheick Kongo def Mustapha al Turk TKO (Elbows and Punches) 4:37 rnd 1
My Pick: Kongo by KO first round
On a hot roll! Third perfect!
This fight had the longest first round EVER! Two low blows made for about a 10 minute first round. I thought I was back in PRIDE for a moment. al Turk just could not handle Kongo's power, nor could he get Kongo to the ground. Not surprising as the only thing Mustapha did for offence was to put Kongo on the cage and pull on his leg.


Quinton Jackson def Wanderlei Silva KO (Punch) 3:21 rnd 1
My Pick: Silva by KO second round
Rampage took advantage of Silva's aggressive style and managed to smash him with a big left hook. Very good boxing by Jackson. Silva really needs to learn how to keep his chin down when he is punching, but I doubt that even that would have saved him from going to sleep after that left hook...


CB Dollaway def Mike Massenzio TKO (Punches) 3:01 rnd 1
My Pick: CB by decision
CB was rocked early, but managed to recover and take out Mike.


Frank Mir def Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira TKO (Punches) 1:54 rnd 2
My Pick: Nog by KO third round
Frank Mir really looked sharp in this fight. He took advantage of Nog's tendency of blocking big right hands with his face. Frank put two down the pipe that put Nog on his butt, one in the first round, one in the second, then added a quick flurry on the ground to finish him in the second. Very good job by Frank Mir.


Rashad Evans def Forrest Griffin Submission (Punches) 2:46 rnd 3
My Pick: Evans by decision
Rashad took the championship away from Griffin. Forrest really did not have an answer for Evans' punching. The low kicks were working, but not soon enough...
The next fight for Rashad should be Rampage, but I don't believe that the UFC will do that. I think that they will want to coddle Rashad for a few fights, throwing him Hardonk or some other such good, but not champion level fighter. At the same time they, the UFC, will put Rampage up against some other decent fighter for him to chew up, perhaps a Matt Hamil or a Rich Franklin. Then the Evans v Rampage fight for a PPV sometime at the end of 2009.

I go 7 for 10 with three perfect picks.

No comments: