Monday, January 19, 2009

UFC 93 Recap

Dennis Siver def Nate Mohr TKO (Spinning Back Kick and Punches) 3:27 rnd 3
My Pick: Silver by RNC first round.
Spin kick?? really? I have to see this one.

Tomasz Drwal def Ivan Serati TKO (Punches) 2:02 rnd 1
My Pick: Tomasz by KO second round.
Tomasz comes through for me.

Eric Schafer def Antonio Mendes TKO (Punches) 3:35 rnd 1
My Pick: Eric by Decision
Ok, so maybe Schafer can punch a little bit...

Martin Kampmann def Alexandre Barros TKO (Punches) 3:07 rnd 2
My Pick: Kampmann by KO first round
The only surprise here is that Barros made it to the second.

John Hathaway def Tom Egan TKO (Elbows) 4:36 rnd 1
My Pick: John by KO second round
This was really not a very good fight. Both guys did a good job of keeping the action going, but the level of fighting wasn't very high. John did a good job of working the elbows from the top position though.

Marcus Davis def Chris Lytle Decision (Split)
My Pick: Davis by KO late third round
This was a back and forth slug fest. Davis did a great job working his kicks and for some reason Lytle just did not take him to the ground. By the time it became an absolute necessity for Chris to get the fight to the ground, he was so beat up he could not get the shot in.
I thought that it should have been an easy 29-28 decision win for Davis, but the judges were watching some other fight in the stands or something.

Alan Belcher def Denis Kang Submission (Guillotine Choke) 4:36 rnd 2
My Pick: Kang by RNC first round
Kang looked dominate until he gassed... then he made the mistake of not respecting Alan's ground game. Kang was the better fighter, but that does not win fights. Very smart and gutsy performance by Alan. Kudos.

Rousimar Palhares def Jeremy Horn Decision
My Pick: Palhares by triangle first round
Palhares dominated Horn like I have never seen anybody dominate Horn before. It was tough to watch.

Mauricio Rua def Mark Coleman TKO (Punches) 4:36 rnd 3
My Pick: Rua by KO first round.
Both guys gassed in the first round, and pitter patted each other for the rest of the fight. Rua had Coleman in the Mortal Kombat "Finish Him" pose at some point in the first two rounds, and kept him there for the entire third round. Rua was just too gassed to finish him off. Terrible fight.

Dan Henderson def Rich Franklin Decision (Split)
My Pick: Rich by decision
Dan kept his right hand working and clearly won the fight. BUT if the fight goes two more rounds I think Rich might have pulled it out at the end. Who knows?
Dan now goes on to coach TUF against Michael Bisping. The Bisping/Henderson fight should be an easy pick. Hendo will destroy him.

I go 8 of 10 in one of the hardest UFCs to watch in a long time.

No comments: