Friday, August 6, 2010

Member When I Asked If I Was a Whore?

I am. Big time. I had a company wave responsibility and money in front of my face and I jumped all over myself to get on board. This is not a bad thing.

My previous company hired me as a developer specializing in SharePoint. What I ended up doing was a whole bunch of web administration, server migrations, and fighting over what was better scripting a deployment so it was the same every time, and the good old cut and paste method. I said automated scripting was better.

Anyway, things did not work out like I wanted them to. I liked the company's vision of clean, abundant, affordable, and American energy. That was great, I am still all for it... However when it came to the hard questions about if our drilling methods contaminated water supplies, the company was inexplicably silent. Clean energy can not be called clean if it is good to the air, but horrible to water.

I was kind of on the fence about leaving, but a friend said something to me that I had told him once: Don't be a bitch, impose your will. Then he said another one of my favorites: Don't be a doormat. Do you know what people do to doormats? They wipe shit on them. Don't be that guy.
I am very inspirational when I want to be... I realized that I was both doormat and bitch. I needed to find someplace to grow.

So, I started looking... I found a large company that wants to set up an office where I live, and is looking for technical people to staff it. They also need someone to lend a leadership hand, and ask the technical questions. I am that guy. Despite being lied to on several occasions by companies, I am cautiously optimistic... Excited even. I think that I can be a decision maker at this office, and do the kind of work that I like to do, solve problems.

No comments: