Tuesday, September 11, 2007

UFC 75 Recap

Jess Liaudin def Anthony Torres TKO (Strikes) 4:10 rnd 1
My Pick Anthony by decision.
Anthony got smacked around by all accounts in this fight.

Dennis Siver def Naoyuki Kotani KO (punch) 2:04 rnd 2
My Pick Kotani by RNC second round
Dennis looked good and was able to floor Kotani

Thiago Silva def Tomasz Drwal TKO (Strikes) 4:23 rnd 2
My Pick Silva by KO first round
No surprise.

Gleison Tibau def Terry Etim Decision
My Pick Gleison by RNC first round
Again, no surprise.

Houston Alexander def Alessio Sakara TKO (Strikes) 1:01 rnd 1
My Pick Sakara by KO second round
I don't know why I pick against Alexander... His Muay Thai looked great, landing a picture perfect knee to bring Sakara down then finish him with strikes. Houston has dangerous power, but he says he does not work on his ground game... I wonder if there is anyone out there who can weather the storm long enough to expose him.

Marcus Davis def Paul Taylor Submission (Armbar) 4:14 rnd 1
My Pick Davis by KO second round
Marcus looked like he was out early, but came back to connect with a perfect armbar from back mount. Very very very slick!

Cheick Kongo def Mirko Filipovic Decision
My Pick CroCop by KO head kick second round
Cro Cop can not take a fighter that comes at him. He gets tentative and throws single strikes. Mirko needs to find sparing partners that will not fold and that will press and bully him.

Michael Bisping def Matt Hamill Decision (split)
My Pick Mike Bisping by KO third round
Hamill won this fight. I don't know what fight the judges were watching, perhaps they were distracted by the English dental work (cheap I know, I am sorry). If Matt can improve his submission game and his G&P he will be a force in the Light Heavyweight division.

Quinton Jackson def Dan Henderson Decision
My Pick Henderson by decision
Rampage looked awesome. He stuck to his game plan, showed that he could escape on the bottom and did very very well against Henderson. I was impressed.

I look forward to who they shove at Jackson next. I think that it will be Shogun if he beats Forrest, or Silva if he beats Chuck. Either way a Chute Boxe fighter will be across the Octagon from him. I really look forward to this, because I want to know how Rampage deals with the kicks. He trains with Check Kongo and Michael Bisping, so he deals with kicks, but his is a primarily boxing training and style. Those styles typically don't match up well against an aggressive kickboxing style. Interesting future match up.

I go 4 for 9. Not very well... I have to admit that I know nothing about MMA after this event... 1000 times out of 1000 I would have picked Mirko over Kongo. I guess that is why they fight!

No comments: