Sunday, September 23, 2007

UFC 76 Knockout Recap

It is good to know that the Universe still has a healthy sense of irony, that a show with the moniker "Knockout" wouldn't have a fight end by knockout...

Matt Wiman def Michihiro Omigawa Decision
My Pick: Wiman by KO second round.
Matt moves on to bigger things. This is good. I like to see the Midwestern guys win.


Christian Wellisch def Scott Junk Submission (Heel Hook) 3:19 rnd 1
My Pick: Wellisch by KO first round
Heel hook? When was the last time we saw one of those?? Cool. I hope to see this on on an episode of Unleashed soon.


Jeremy Stephens def Diego Saraiva Decision
My Pick: Diego by armbar first round
Jeremy seems to be better than I anticipated...

Rich Clementi def Anthony Johnson Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) 3:05 rnd 2
My Pick: Johnson by KO first round
Rich catches Johnson... To be very honest, I did not think that Rich had one chance in a thousand of beating Johnson. I guess I was wrong.

Tyson Griffin def Thiago Tavares Decision
My Pick: Tyson by decision
Incredible fight!!! Very entertaining, very good fight.

Ryoto Machida def Kazuhiro Nakamura Decision
My Pick: Ryoto by KO second rond
Nakamura walked in looking like a Chinese delivery man... And wearing his gi, a yukatta, and a t-shirt... That's a lot of clothing.

Jon Fitch def Diego Sanchez Decision (Split)
My Pick: Diego by decision
Fitch looked very strong, defended the takedown, and won the stand up game. Diego needs to stop dating UFC ring card girls and get back in the gym with Greg Jackson!

Forrest Griffin def Mauricio Rua Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) 4:45 rnd 3
My Pick: Shogun by KO first round
Why the hell was Shogun trying to take Forrest down the whole fight long? Why the hell did Shogun gas 30 seconds in to the fight?
To be fair, I have never seen Forrest fight so well, but I had never seen Shogun fight so poorly. Do steroids have that much advantage? Did the cage freak him out? What the hell happened?

Keith Jardine def Chuck Liddell Decision (Split)
My Pick: Chuck knocks out Keith in the first round.
Chuck looked like any other fighter who begins to believe that they can knock anybody out with a single punch. We see it happen in boxing all of the time. They abandon any semblance of game that they had previously and just throw the bomb. It worked for Chuck for a while, but not this time out. Chuck looked old and could not find his rhythm.
Jardine on the other hand saw something that many fighters have not seen. Most fighters try to take Chuck down. Jardine noticed that Chuck never goes for the take down himself. So Keith would lean way over on his plant leg during his kicks to avoid the big right hand counter. Against anyone else, this would have resulted in an immediate take down attempt. Not Chuck, though. Chuck does not take anybody down. Kieth was able to land the kicks and avoid the KO punch. Excellent work.

I go 4 for 9 and drop below .500 for the first time in a very long time.

No comments: