Monday, June 9, 2008

UFC 85: Bedlam

The event was aptly named, as Alves' failure to make weight a horribly early stoppage, and a few surprises put the UFC's title hunts in "Bedlam".

Antoni Hardonk def Eddie Sanchez TKO (Punch) 4:15 rnd 2
My Pick: Hardonk

Paul Taylor def Jess Liaudin Decision (Split)
My Pick: Laiaudin
Taylor coming on strong!

Luis Cane def Jason Lambert TKO (strikes) 2:07 rnd 1
My Pick: Lambert
This was a great fight. Luis used his reach advantage to excellent effect hitting Labert with a big right hand and finishing him off quick.

Kevin Burns def Roan Carneiro Submission (Triangle Choke) 2:53 rnd 2
My Pick: Carneiro


Matt Wiman def Thiago Tavares KO (Punches) 1:57 rnd 2
My Pick: Tavares
Handsome Matt Wiman really looks sharp. He neatly destroyed Tavares and he looks to be one of the best fighters to come out of the TUF house.


The Punch

Martin Kampmann def Jorge Rivera Submission (Guillotine choke) 2:44 rnd 1
My Pick: Kampmann
I like to see Rivera fight, I mean he walks in with chain mail on his head!! However, he might be only useful as a UFC gatekeeper.

Fabricio Werdum def Brandon Vera TKO (Punches) 4:40 rnd 1
My Pick: Vera
Bad stoppage. Vera was in no way hurt, BUT Werdum had mount was throwing punches, and Vera was doing nothing to stop the barrage or escape. Out come would be most likely the same, but the early stoppage sullys the sport.

Thales Leites def Nathan Marquardt Decision (Split)
My Pick: Marquardt
Thales had Nate out in the first, but could not finish it. Nate came back, but threw an illegal knee that sealed the decision for Thales.

Mike Swick def Marcus Davis Decision
My Pick: Swick


Michael Bisping def Jason Day TKO (Punches) 3:42 rnd 1
My Pick: Bisping


Thiago Alves def Matt Hughes TKO (Knee and punches) 1:02 rnd 2
My Pick: Hughes
I am not sure what this means for the division or for Matt Hughes. Sure the loss is a bad one, but Thiago was SO much bigger than Matt. Thiago did not make weight, so this fight did not happen in the Welterweight division. It occurred in the Middleweight division. In my opinion this is a meaningless Victory for Alves, and though he gets a W on his record, it should have an asterisk.

No comments: