Sunday, August 10, 2008

UFC 87 Seek and Destroy Recap

Ben Saunders def Ryan Thomas Submission (Armbar) 2:28 rnd 2
My Pick: Saunders by KO first round.
Very slick armbar by Sanders


Chris Wilson def Steve Bruno Decision
My Pick: Wilson by G&P KO third round


Jon Jones def Andre Gusmao Decision
My Pick: Andre by KO


Cheick Kongo def Dan Evensen TKO (Strikes) 4:55 rnd 1
My Pick: Kongo by KO first round


Tamdan McCrory def Luke Cummo Decision
My Pick: Cummo wins the decision.
Luke was reportedly coming off a six day fast before this fight... Somebody should tell this nut case that food = energy and energy is needed for fights. If you fast before a fight you will most likely not have the gas to win.


Demian Maia def Jason MacDonald Submission (Rear-naked Choke) 2:44 rnd 3
My Pick: Maia by triangle choke second round.
Mia got a triangle right at the begging, but MacDonald was able to escape and take Mia's back. Back and forth they went with Mia sub hunting and Jason doing his best to stay alive. Eventually Maia caught the RNC and an exhausted Jason had to tap. Very good fight.


Kenny Florian def Roger Huerta Decision
My Pick: Kenny by decision
Kenny had a great game plan and kept to it. He landed good shots and beat the hell out of Roger.


Robert Emerson def Manvel Gamburyan KO (Punches) 0:12 rnd 1
My Pick: Manny by G&P KO second round.
Manny ran forward with his chin out and got a punch stain and a short nap as a reward.


Brock Lesnar def Heath Herring Decision
My Pick: Herring by KO first round.
It was almost Brock by first round KO! Brock came right out and landed a HUGE right hand that knocked Heath to the ground. Brock promptly took Heath's back, and did nothing. End of first. In the second, Brock took Heath down and took his back, and did nothing. End of second. In the second, Brock took Heath down and took his back, and did nothing. End of third. My write up is actually more exciting than the fight was. Controlling works in wrestling and somewhat in MMA, BUT you have to advance the position and work in MMA. Brock just doesn't do that yet. Sure he won, but he put most of us asleep doing it.

The only punch of the night.

Georges St. Pierre def Jon Fitch Decision
My Pick: GSP by KO late third, early fourth.
Jon was game, but it just was not enough. GSP beat him, and beat him, and beat him. On the ground, in the clinch, standing up. Jon had no answer, no hope. I would have been less kind than the judges with their unanimous 50 - 44 scores. I would have judged it 50 - 34. GSP took the second and fourth rounds off, so Jon gets the 9 points there. But the rest were all GSP so dominating that they were all 10-8 rounds.

I go 6 for 10 this time out.

No comments: