Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The System, She is Broken

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday buying some needed supplies. As I get there I notice a gentleman getting out of his Cadillac SUV and walk in to the store with me.

I do my shopping and I go to pay. Just in front of me in line, I notice the very same gentleman. He seems to be very well dressed, in a casual way. He has a brand new baseball cap, polo shoes, and Gucci eye glasses. He is paying for two very large bags of dog food. He gets a call while waiting and pulls out of his pocket an iPhone. On his wrist is a very nice looking large designer watch.
His turn comes up and pays for his bags of dog food with an EBT card. I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Here is a man that is surrounded by luxury items. Items that I would not buy because of their exorbitant prices, and lack of value for those prices. Yet he has no qualm about paying for sustenance for his dogs, animals that serve no purpose in modern urban life, with money given him by the community.

I guess I am just old fashioned. I would be completely destitute before I accepted any money from the Government. Even then, I don't think I would do it. I would have to be naked, homeless, and near death to accept it. To me accepting anything from the Government is worse than accepting anything from *gasp* my family or my parents.
I am my own person. Getting assistance from the Government is like saying that I am simply a ward of the State. The concept is as repulsive as it is horrifying.

Perhaps this guy was simply down on his luck... But why would you have an expensive cell phone with an expensive call plan, a very nice new luxury car, etc, etc.
Too many things just did not add up.

The system, she is broken. The mindset of the people must be changed for any type of reform to work. Getting money from the Government must be a shameful thing. It must be thought down upon. It must be thought of as the thing that only bad people do. Eating poo must be thought of higher than getting food stamps.
Only then can the system be fixed.

No comments: