Thursday, May 3, 2012

Finding a New City - Chapel Hill & Durham

My wife is nearly done with her residency, and she has decided that she wants to do Urogynocology and Pelvic Reconstruction Surgery. This requires an additional three years of fellowship, so on the road we both go again to find a fellowship job. Right now she has 13 interviews scheduled, with more possibly on the way. I say that because as programs invite doctors to interview, some doctors will decline. The programs want to be sure to fill all of their interview slots, so they will send out invitations to their second and third choices.

We have been in the Raleigh area of North Carolina this week, and I have to say it is one of the prettier places around. The metro area, called the "Triangle" by the locals (Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham), seems to have been cut from a forest. There are trees EVERYWHERE. I don't know what that will do for my tree allergy, but I have been fine so far.

I am trying to think of some criteria that can objectively use to rate the various cities, but I don't think it is going to come to that... It is going to be a "feel" kind of thing so... I don't know... we will see.

Economically, the area is booming. There is a TON of work in my field in this area. New jobs posted everyday, with lots and lots of recruiters inquiring if I will be moving to the area. In fact, one of the people I met at a BJJ class here was an IT recruiter and wanted a look at my resume when I said what I did. They already have sent me a LinkedIn connection request... Over aggressive? Maybe, or it could just be that the area is looking for talent.

Cost of living in the area is 2% higher than in OK, so that isn't much of a change. I think I could find a job that pays about the same as I am making now.

North Carolina is a Shall Issue state, so CCW shouldn't be a problem. There does seem to be a shortage of general aviation though...

I was able to go to one BJJ class, and I wasn't really impressed. The majority of the good places seem to be in Raleigh some 20 or more miles away.

All in all I was impressed with the town. Very pretty.

No comments: