Thursday, December 13, 2007

WEC 31 Recap

The WEC really did Versus well and put on a great show. All of the televised bouts ended in the first or second rounds, and we got to see a great mix of a KO, TWO armbars, and some interesting chokes as well.

I gotta ask... what hell was up with Frank Mir? He looked like he was high on crank with all of the head movement. Very strange.

Results and My picks:

Charlie Valencia def Ian McCall Submission (Guillotine Choke) 3:19 rnd 1
My Pick: I say Ian by RNC second round
I initially went with Charlie, because I though that he would be the hungrier fighter, but then I re looked at Ian's record and thought the better of it. Stupid me. Charlie went out there and beat the hell out of Ian then took the choke. Very good fight.


Brian Bowles def Marcos Galvao KO (Punch) 2:09 rnd 2
My Pick: Brian by decision
Marcos kept walking straight backward, and leaning back when Brian attacked. This is an easy strategy to counter. Simply throw deep punches that take a bit longer to develop catching the guy when he leans back in. That is exactly what Brain did and managed to land two very hard right hands on Marcos' chin.


Ed Ratcliff def Alex Karalexis TKO (Strikes) 1:26 rnd 2
My Pick: Alex by KO first round.
I really want to see this fight. Alex has such good stand up, and solid take down defence. I didn't think that Ed could get the takedown. Ed must be much better than I thought.


Bryan Baker def Eric Schambari Decision (Split)
My Pick: Eric by RNC third round
Good work Bryan!


John Alessio def Todd Moore Decision
My Pick: Alessio by RNC first round
I thought Alessio would finish it.


Doug Marshall def Ariel Gandulla Submission (Armbar) 0:55 rnd 1
My Pick: I think Ariel by triangle choke third round.
I don't know if I got bad information on Gandulla or what. Marshall slapped on a good triangle choke and Ariel decided to hammer fist him with his inside arm, Doug switches to the armbar and breaks Ariel's arm.
It was a rookie mistake that no black belt should have made.


Paulo Filho def Chael Sonnen Submission (Armbar) 4:55 rnd 2
My Pick: Paulo by armbar from mount first round
Very interesting fight! Chael caught Paulo right off the bat with a short hard punch, then got a slamming takedown. Chael and his corner began yelling at the ref "He's out! He's out!" Paulo managed to get to guard, and despite one weak armbar attempt, the rest of the round Paulo simply held on, clinched and avoided punishment.
Paulo comes out in the second round with an extremely weak shot, eats some knees and then, even though he was dominating the stand up, he takes Paulo down. A little bit late Paulo gets the armbar and makes Chael scream in pain. The ref sees that Chael's arm is fully extended, is not trying to defend, and he stops the fight.


Jens Pulver def Cub Swanson Submission (Guillotine Choke) 0:35 rnd 1
My Pick: Jens by KO second round
Jens slapped on the most painful deepest and nastiest Guillotine choke ever... ouch. Cub will be feeling that for months.


Urijah Faber def Jeff Curran Submission (Guillotine Choke) 4:34 rnd 2
My Pick: Urijah by decision
Urijah looked very good. He managed to rock Jeff and grab the choke. Excellent work by the champ.

I do OK in the WEC, 5 for 9.

No comments: