Monday, January 24, 2011

Go Fly, BITCH!!!

No more excuses. I made an appointment to get my biannual flight review and some instruction on Saturday. If the weather holds out, I am back in the air.
I have an appointment with the Airman Medical Examiner on Wednesday to get my medical up to date. I think the one I have is good, but better safe than sorry.

I gotta say... I am nervous. It has been a while since I took to the air, December of 2008 was the last time. I did a biannual flight review and did some fun landings.
Anyway, this will be at Wiley Post Airfield, and I will be working with ATC for the first time... Holly cow, for the first time since 1992.

So, I am going to take this review as more of a learning experience than anything else. I don't expect to solo anytime soon, I want to get some instruction and clean up my long neglected flight skills.
I need to relearn some things that I know I no longer do well. Steep turns for instance... I don't know how to do them any more. SURE I know how to turn the airplane, and YEAH I can turn the thing steeply and safely, BUT I no longer can turn the airplane steeply with out loosing a bunch of altitude, or consistently turn the airplane with out breaking out of the turn to right the nose. Not good. I need to get that skill back.

I am going up with Marcus, the Chief Flight instructor. My attitude will be humble, and I will freely admit that I have been out of the game for a long time, and I need some help getting back in to it. Last time I was coming back, I tried to be all cool and pretend like I hadn't lost a step. I was wrong, and it made me cocky and unsafe. Never again.


I am also taking up an airplane with a glass cockpit. The first time for me... Actually this will be the first time that I am flying an airplane that is younger than I am. I am going up in a 2006 Cessna 172SP. It has 180 hp, and all the bells and whistles that new airplanes have. I am excited about that.


I think it will be good to get back in a Cessna. I haven't flown one in a while, I flew low wing Pipers for a while in Omaha.

No comments: