Sunday, May 25, 2008

UFC 84 Ill Will Recap

Shane Carwin def Christian Wellisch KO (Punch) 0:44 rnd 1
My Pick: Wellisch by KO first round
Meh.
Carwain has a BIG right hand. He nearly took Christian's jaw off.

Dong Hyun Kim def Jason Tan TKO (Elbows) 0:25 rnd 3
My Pick: Kim by submission, armbar first round
Interesting... Kim might just have a G&P game.

Yoshiyuki Yoshida def Jon Koppenhaver Submission (Anaconda Choke) 0:56 rnd 1
My Pick: Yoshida by RNC second round
It wasn't a RNC and it didn't come in the second round, but it was a choke ending none the less. Yoshida looked very good locking on the textbook Anaconda and choking Jon completely out. Not very surprising, but impressive none the less.

Rich Clementi def Terry Etim Decision
My Pick: Clementi by decision
Perfection!!


Rameau Sokoudjou def Kazuhiro Nakamura TKO (Leg Injury) 5:00 rnd 1
My Pick: Sokoudjou by KO first round
Perfection!!
Sokoudjou landed a big punch at the very end of the first that collapsed Nakamura. The fall injured his right leg somewhere. He was unable to continue.

Rousimar Palhares def Ivan Salaverry Submission (Armbar) 2:36 rnd 1
My Pick: Ivan by KO second round
Honestly, I wanted Ivan to win this fight. I thought that he might be able to stay away from the takedown and do some damage. It was not to be. Rousimar shot in and hit an awesome single leg. He took Ivan's back, and after a short struggle there transitioned in to one of the best, deepest, and fastest armbars from the back I have ever seen. Palhares is a force at Middleweight.

Thiago Silva def Antonio Mendes Submission (Punches) 2:24 rnd 1
My Pick: Silva KO from the mount first round.
Perfection yet again!!
Silva is the real deal, and I can not wait until he fights some real competition there. Maybe a Silva vs Silva soon??

Lyoto Machida def Tito Ortiz Decision
My Pick: Tito by decision.
Tito had absolutely no answer to Machida's style. Despite locking on what looked to be a tight triangle choke right at the end of the fight, Tito did nothing to win. Machida retires Tito, in a fight that put everyone to sleep.

Goran Reljic def Wilson Gouveia TKO (Punches) 3:15 rnd 2
My Pick: Wilson by KO first round
Wilson nearly had it at the beginning of the second, but Goran showed real heart in recovering then landing good punches to get the knockdown, then good finishing instinct to put Wilson out.

Wanderlei Silva def Keith Jardine KO (Punches) 0:36 rnd 1
My Pick: Jardine retires Silva with a decision
Oh man was I wrong. The Silva of old was back in force!! After getting briefly rocked by a looping Jardine right hand, Silva dropped some of his famous hooks on to Jardine to put him completely asleep... Stiff as a board asleep.


B.J. Penn def Sean Sherk TKO (Knee and Punches) 5:00 rnd 3
My Pick: Sherk by decision
BJ beat the holly hell out of Sherk. End of story.

I do horribly in the main card, but quite well in the under card getting me a 5 of 11, with three perfect calls.

No comments: