Thursday, September 18, 2008

UFN Omaha Recap

A good overall show, lots of good technique, but many fighters not really fighting to win...

Dan Miller def Rob Kimmons Submission (Rear-naked choke) 1:27 rnd 1
My Pick: Miller by kneebar first round.
It wasn't a kneebar, but pretty close.

Mike Massenzio def Drew McFedries Submission (Kimura) 1:28 rnd 1
My Pick: I think Drew McFedries breaks his win one loose one streak by winning by KO in the second round.
Drew does not break his streak and is again win one loose one.

Jason Brilz def Brad Morris TKO (Punches) 2:54 rnd 2
My Pick: Brilzy by G&P KO first round.
MAMAz Boyz finally get their first win in the UFC!!!!!!!! Brilz is destined for greatness and he sure showed it tonight!


Joe Lauzon def Kyle Bradley TKO (Punches) 1:34 rnd 2
My Pick: Lauzon wins this one by some kind of a leg lock, most likely a heel hook second round.
No heel hook, but we will take a KO in the second!


Wilson Gouveia def Ryan Jensen Submission (Armbar) 2:04 rnd 2
My Pick: Jensen by KO second round
Ryan just can't catch a break against Brazilian BJJ Black Belts...

Alessio Sakara def Joe Vedepo KO (Head kick and punch) 1:27 rnd 1
My Pick: Sakara by KO first round
What did I just say??

Eric Schafer def Houston Alexander Submission (Arm-triangle choke) 4:53 rnd 1
My Pick: Eric by armbar first round.
Eric was setting up the armbar from the mount, but Houston was not biting. Easy arm triangle choke, or super seeker for you catch wrestlers out there. This should send Houston packing from the UFC, and should put Schafer back in the mix. Shafer v Brilz? Sounds interesting to me.


Alan Belcher def Ed Herman Decision (Split)
My Pick: Herman by RNC third round.
Alan did just enough, barely, to win the fight. I have never seen a guy fight more not to loose than Belcher did. I know he was just listening to his corner when he did not throw kicks, but THAT is is greatest weapon! Sure, you run the risk of getting taken down when you kick. I relearn that every time I kick against Brilz, but I also relearn that if you throw the kick off of a punch combo it often lands and you do NOT get taken down. Belcher was pot shooting. He earns the win, but I didn't like it.

Clay Guida def Mac Danzig Decision
My Pick: Mac by G&P KO second round
Clay's pace was much too much for Danzig. Danzig was simply out physicaled. Clay has trouble putting anybody away, so a decision is the best he can hope for.

Nathan Diaz def Josh Neer Decision (Split)
My Pick: Diaz by RNC late second round.
Josh showed a great ground game in this exciting chess match. It seemed that both fighters were well matched up. I though that Josh should have stuck with his stated game plan of trying to bang with Nate. Josh's stand up seemed to be more powerful, and that, I think, would have been the decider in this match.


I think that this show really emphasized a growing problem in MMA that of fighters not willing to fight to win. Alan Belcher is a good example of this. He threw one or two punch combos keeping Herman away, but that was IT. In the last round, when Ed could barley stand he was so tired, Belcher should have thrown the leg and body kicks in bunches to try and end the fight. Instead he just stood in front of Ed. Makes for boring fights, and silly split decisions.

I go 6 for 10.

No comments: