Sunday, February 22, 2009

UFC 95 Recap

Great googaly moogaly!!! This UFC was full of what you want to see in a MMA competition, guys fighting to win. Guys took chances, some paid off some did not, but nearly all fought like their hair was on fire... All except the last fight, where two ground fighters played patty cake for 15 minutes.


Paul Kelly def Troy Mandaloniz Decision
My Pick: Troy by KO first round.
So I am wrong, what else is new??

Mike Ciesnolevicz def Neil Grove Submission (Heel Hook) 1:03 rnd 1
My Pick: Mike by KO second round
Mike took Neil's knee home with him. I tap out as soon as anybody gets their elbow around my heel in the cross position. It is just not worth it. You don't feel the submission coming, and then you are wondering if you will ever walk again.

If you get here tap like crazy so the guy will quit cranking!!

Evan Dunham def Per Eklund TKO (Punches) 2:13 rnd 1
My Pick: Per by decision.
Smash smash smash! Evan used excellent hip position to finish off Per after a crushing right hand put Per on the canvas.

Junior dos Santos def Stefan Struve TKO (Punches) 0:54 rnd 1
My Pick: Junior by whatever he wants, most likely a triangle choke in the first
I guess Junior wanted to smack the crap out of Stefan, cause that is what he did!


Terry Etim def Brian Cobb TKO (Head Kick and Punches) 0:10 rnd 2
My Pick: Terry by decision.
Terry looked awesome and finishes Brain in highlight reel fashion.

Paulo Thiago def Josh Koscheck TKO (Punches) 3:29 rnd 1
My Pick: Koscheck by G&P KO second round
The UFC may have thrown Paulo to the wolves, but they remembered something I forgot... All Brazilians are good fighters.
The stoppage may have been too early, but the outcome was already decided. I think that the ref should have let Paulo smash Josh a few more times, but that is just because I don't like him.

Demian Maia def Chael Sonnen Submission (Triangle Choke) 2:37 rnd 1
My Pick: Maia by armbar first round
Maia is a damn superhero.

How the hell do yo train to do that??

Nate Marquardt def Wilson Gouveia TKO (Knee and Punches) 3:10 rnd 3
My Pick: Nate by KO second round
Nate had an obvious size advantage on Wilson, and knew that Wilson could not hold out his punches forever. Wilson tired out and let a few through in the third and it was all over. Nate looked awesome, and his leg kicks shook the house!

Dan Hardy def Rory Markham KO (Punch) 1:09 rnd 1
My Pick: Rory by KO first round
Wow! Dan really had the home field advantage going for him here.

Diego Sanchez def Joe Stevenson Decision
My Pick: Diego by RNC second round.
Neither guy wanted to engage so they played patty cake for three rounds. Bad fight. I doubt Joe will be asked back to the UFC, and the only fight from Diego I am interested in is a rematch with Kenny Florian.

Great show!!! I go 6 of 10 keeping me above 0.500, but just barely better than the coin flip.

No comments: