Saturday, February 7, 2009

UFC Fight Night Lauzon vs Stephens Recap

As mind numbingly boring the last few UFC Pay Per Views have been, this event was AWESOME. No televised decisions, just KOs and submissions. Dramatic comebacks, overwhelming ground games and bone crunching stand up. Kick Ass.

Matt Riddle def Steve Bruno Decision
My Pick: Bruno by RNC second round.
Uh oh... Not this again...

Nick Catone def Derek Downey Submission (Keylock) 1:15 rnd 2
My Pick: Derek by KO second round
0-2 already???

Gleison Tibau def Rich Clementi Submission (Guillotine Choke) 4:35 rnd 1
My Pick: Gleison by decision
I would have guessed decision, or by KO, but Gleison by Guillotine Choke?? Never.


Matt Veach def Matt Grice TKO (Punches) 4:34 rnd 1
My Pick: I mean Veach by KO first round
YES!! Even though it was a very bad stoppage, I will still take the win!!
This was a great fight! Both guys were rocked at one point, and both guys did a great job of coming back.


Dan Miller def Jake Rosholt Submission (Guillotine Choke) 1:03 rnd 1
My Pick: Dan by RNC first round
Dan hit the best Guillotine Choke I have ever seen. He had no leg support at all it was all arm and body. Simply amazing!


Kurt Pellegrino def Robert Emerson Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) 3:14 rnd 2
My Pick: Kurt by triangle early second round.
No surprise.


Anthony Johnson def Luigi Fioravanti TKO (Punches) 4:39 rnd 1
My Pick: Anthony by KO first round
I get another home run!!
Anthony looked really strong in this fight. He still keeps his chin up a bit to high, but those kicks!


Josh Neer def Mac Danzig Submission (Triangle Choke) 3:36 rnd 2
My Pick: Mac by decision
Wow. Josh had no respect for any of what Mac had. Josh simply took it to Mac, overwhelmed him, beat the hell out of him, and finished Mac with the move that we got to see so often in Victory. Kick ass!!

Cain Velasquez def Denis Stojnic TKO (Punches) 2:34 rnd 2
My Pick: Cain... with a knock out and in the first round.
Not in the first round, but Cain looked very strong pounding on the hapless Stojnic.


Joe Lauzon def Jeremy Stephens Submission (Armbar) 4:43 rnd 2
My Pick: Joe by some sort of footlock second round.
Joe had a few attempts at footlocks, but could not finish. Joe put on an absolute BJJ clinic. From the first few moments when Joe pulled half guard and swept Jeremy, to the very end when Joe locked in the armbar, Joe was in absolute control the whole time. Joe owned everything about the fight on the ground. His only mistakes were his loss of position after his missed submission attempts.

I redeem my self with a solid 7 of 10, at one of the most entertaining UFCs in a long time.

No comments: